Wednesday, July 20, 2016
Hey Savages, Kim here. I am back with the July Edition of our Scrappy (happy) Space Spotlight. 

If you are anything like me, I love looking a scrap spaces. I love looking at how people organize their supplies. I love to see how they decorate their space. I just love looking. 

Today we have Swirly Savage former DT Coordinator Rae Moses (Rae). Rae has just added some new storage pieces to her space and is eager to show it off. 

So without further ado, we will share some photos and a Q&A.

Q: When designing your room, did you have a theme in mind? Where did the inspiration for your overall design come from?

I didn't have a theme in mind, I just wanted to make sure that my space was functional and had enough space and storage for all of my stuff. It's been a process to figure out how to utilize the room that I have. I am a VERY messy person, and it can get out of control if I don't have a spot for everything, or if it's inconvenient to put away. The way my room is now is very functional and very easy to keep clean with a little bit of discipline. 

Q: What's your favorite thing about having a dedicated space to scrap/craft?

I feel so lucky to have a space that's just mine! I don't have to worry about cleaning up my projects in progress to make way for dinner, or whatever. I can just close the door!

Q: What's your favorite piece of furniture or organizational piece in your space?

I love all of my furniture, but I guess I would have to say my large Clip it Up. It holds my packaged flowers (Prima and Petaloo, at least), and I can organize them by color, collection, and type, and easily see what I have. 

Q: How is your room set up? By the way you craft, by color or by manufacturer?

Firstly, my room is set up by the way I craft. What I use the most, is closest to my desk, mostly. What I use the least is further away from the desk, like punches, and finished projects/albums. All of my papers, and most everything else is divided by manufacturer.. Everything Prima gets it's own special spot for the most part. Cardstock is sorted by color. All of the mists and paints are also arranged by manufacturer, but then organized by color. Once I open a pack of flowers, they go into glass canisters arranged by color. 

Q: Does your overall design work for you? If not, what would you change?

This design works for me right now, mostly. I'd like to have a sink in the room, because they downstairs bathroom usually has a jar of brushes soaking, and stencils wrapped paper towels. It would be nice to have a space to contain my mixed media clean up! 

Q: What is your best design tip for someone just designing their space?

Get rid of what you aren't using before you start planning out what you will need. Think about what you like to buy a lot of, and make sure you allow for your stash to grow. Think about what you use the most, and try to work your design of your room so that you have what you love close by. 

Q: What else would you like to share about your scrap/craft space?

I have two workspaces set up, so if any of my scrappy pals want to come visit, we can scrap together. (But, bring your own supplies.) :)


When you first walk in to my room, the first thing you see are my punches. These rods are from IKEA. I love them because I can see all of my punches, all of the time. They are out of the way, and very easy to put back. 



There is a lot packed into this tiny space by the closet. The clip it up sits on cubes from Michaels. In those cubes I have random stuff in there- mostly cheap acrylic paints, plastic packaging, and other products I don't use very frequently. 


The clip it up houses my embellishments that I get from the jewelry sections at craft stores on the top, and chipboard is on the bottom rack.


I have an INSANE amount of Blue Fern Studios chipboard from when I was on the design team, and we didn't receive those in packaging, so it's loose. I have that collection separated in 12X12 Iris containers so I can see it an not damage the delicate pieces. Those containers go on the tall skinny bookshelf that I got from IKEA. 



The rest of the Iris containers on this shelf are for my Prima collections. Of course, Prima makes a lot of stuff to go with their paper lines, so I like to keep the collections by themselves. Each container is labeled. 

The Scrapbox is an amazing piece of furniture, and it houses a good amount of my supplies. 


There's room for all of my paper, divided by manufacturer. Cardstock by color on the skinny left shelves. 


The paper packs on a shelf below the table. (Not shown.)

The side doors of the Scrapbox hold a lot of stuff. Here mare my Stickles, Liquid Pearls, and some microbeads. 







A majority of my embellishments that aren't flowers and chipboard are stored here, labeled. The fabric drawers come with the Scrapbox, but I have replaced some of them with acrylic containers because they handle heavier stuff well. 



Labeling these drawers forces me to put things back where they belong!


​Storing paints and stuff in these fabric drawers is difficult because they are not sturdy. So, I bought 12x12 cake pans, and they fit perfectly and can hold the weight.


I store my open resins and metal embellishments in these organizers I purchased from Amazon.



I try to divide them up so I can see exactly what I have at a quick glance.


My next piece of furniture is my EZ View desk. This was my Valentine's/ birthday gift from my husband. I LOVE this desk! 


I got a great barstool from Costco for the desk too. 

On top, are my mats, Stella lights, and more organizers.


This carousel is from Michaels and it holds all of my pencils, brushes and small tools. The top has clips, and I usually put stuff on there I am using for whatever project I'm working on, or if I buy something new and just want to remember I have it so I use it. Can you see my chalk inks, nicely arranged in the desk drawer?


​This is a cute Kaisercraft ladder shelf, and it's perfect for adhesives, and I have me heat gun and Zutter on there- now they are always plugged in and within reach. 
(Notice the pastels and watercolor below!)

Here's a couple more shots of the top of the desk:




Next, is my out-of-control flower addiction. At least it's organized! In the drawers on the side of the EZ View desk are Kaisercraft, I Am Roses, and other random flowers. 

Here's my clip it up dedicated to my packaged Prima and Petaloo flowers:



Once I have opened a pack of flowers and used most of them, the stragglers go into these glass canisters I found at Target.


Tiny flowers are in the jars and in the wood box. Below that are some ribbon and trim on spools. 

Next to my flowers, are some Michaels cubes and mist storage. 



​The wall shelves are from IKEA. Below is a my photo printers and die cutters. 

Stencils and stamps are under the shelf. 

The Iris containers have Christmas, Halloween, and baby papers and embellishments. 

And, lastly, my completed projects shelf:



The top three shelves are just some of my favorite projects. The next two shelves are filled with layouts that need to be put in albums. (EEEEEK!)

We want to thank Rae for sharing her Scrappy (Happy) Place with us. It was so much fun looking at your room and reading your responses to our questions.

If you want your scrappy (happy) space highlighted please email me at Kim@Swirlydoos.com. We would love to see where you create.

If you’re ready to start getting perfectly coordinated, top of the line scrapbook kits delivered to your door, please visit us at www.swirlydoos.com. Mention my name (Kim) when you subscribe and you’ll receive 10% off your first kit, AND a coupon good for 30% off your entire purchase in the Swirlydoos.com store!

6 comments:

Merrihew said...

Thanks so much for letting us see your scraproom, Rae! It is so organized! What a wonderful place to create!

Unknown said...

Rae, I'll be over shortly!

Krissy said...

Rse, this room... and your storage solutions KICK ASS! Holy cow! Come redo my room! !

Krissy said...

Rse, this room... and your storage solutions KICK ASS! Holy cow! Come redo my room! !

Peggy Giovanetti said...

Awesome!!! Neat, organized and sooooo much beautiful crap; may I repeat: awesome!!!

Linda Pekrul said...

What an inspiration Rae! I love your craft room. Appreciated your tips in the Q&A as well.

Facebook

Facebook
Be sure to "LIKE & FOLLOW" Swirlydoos for special FB only deals and promos

Pin Us!!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Scrapbook Sketches

Scrapbook Sketches
see all of our sketches here

Grab the Blinkie!

Photobucket

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

Followers

Live Ustream


Live Feed